Tuesday, 24 July 2007

"Mariyakutty illayirunnel...."


Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.(1 Corinthians 13:4-6)


Love:the definition is different for each person.There are several kinds of love that a person experiences in life
The love of parents;the love of siblings;the love of friends and finally the love of a life partner.I want to write here about the love of a life partner.

When I start to write about love, the comment that keeps running into my mind is  what a person very close to me told:

"Mole,ee Mariakutty illayirunnel ente kaaryam aake kuzhachchil aayene"
They have been married for 65 years now

When I returned from office today I saw a girl and a boy holding hands and sitting in a restaurant.What is true love?

Let me tell you the first love story I heard:
I was barely four years old when I heard it
It happened some time in the final years of 18th century

There were two families seperated by a small fence.This happened in early twentienth century OK;There was a mango tree growing in between the fence.And every time the wind blows before the monsoon rains there emerges a guy in seventeen and a gal in thirteen from both these houses.
"Edaa ponnthadiyaa,innu nikkau otta manga polum kittathilladaa"
"Edee kullathi mariye,athu namukku kanaam"
after a long struggle both fo them comes home and complains.She will be crying and he will be so angry.
One day she heard her parents discussing something
"Aa kuruvila nalla payyanaa;nammukkonnalochichalo?;edee mariye korachu divasam neeyini maanga perukkan ponda"
"Enna amma ee parayunne,aa ponnathadiyan vannu manga ellam parukkikondu pokum"
"Aa ini avanumaayittu vazhakkonnum vendaa, avante koode porukanullathaa"

And after 65 years so called 'ponnathadiyan' says:""Mole,ee Mariakutty illayirunnel ente kaaryam aake kuzhachchil aayene"


Love:something that get better as it gets older like wine;I dont know
I remember seeing this movie Mr and Mrs.Iyer where a elderly couple discusses the difference between love at their time and love now.I really liked the comment he passed about not seeing Salma on the day of their matrimonial interview(athava 'pennu kaanal'). Salma seemed to understand what the guy needs even with a singular expression of eye or sometimes by the movement of his fingers.

Can we have a love like that now? Life is not perfect;Lets just wait and see
65 years...seem to be a long time;I just wonder

So loonngg;I dont even know whether I would even live another 65 years!!!

Kenny Chesney --Fall in love 
"
Old folks sittin' in a front porch swing
Still holdin' hands like they were sixteen
Fifty good years they're a lover's dream
Darlin' that could be you and me

Don't that make you want to fall in love
Don't that look like a picture of us
A match made in heaven if there ever was
Don't that make you want to fall
That just makes me want to give you my heart
Ever forever needs a place to start"

 

No comments: